A Quilting Chick Home Page About Me  My Quilts  My Patterns  Follow Me Tutorials

August 3, 2015

Americana Rows and Ohio Crossroads

Hi friends!!!  What.  A.  Weekend!  It was good, but man was it full.  Friday was the deadline for finishing up a block for the Americana Quilt Along that my good friend Deana designed (she blogs over at Dreamworthy Quilts).  And I couldn't just do the one block, I had to get it finished.  Well, my birthday was Thursday and my kids wanted to do things with me so that took out of my sewing time so that meant Friday evening I had to get it done.  And I did.  Then when I was setting up to take the pics to do my post, my work table collapsed!  What a mess!  Fabric, tools, thread, scraps....everywhere.  Along with my soda, snacks.  Just a huge mess.  Deana was so wonderful in allowing me to post late because there was no way I could get it done Friday night. 

So.....after all of that....here's the first row of the Americana quilt...

Americana - Stars

There are 8 of these stars and they are paper pieced.  I attacked them first knowing they'd take the longest.

Saturday was all about finding a new table for my sewing area.  Well that and running all over San Antonio with Cassidy and Mom.  :)  Lot's of fun, but I digress.  I got set up Saturday evening and I made up a couple of test blocks for my new Moda Bake Shop project (insert squeal here).  Then Sunday I woke up thinking I'll do that second row from the Americana Quilt Along and get it done.

And who knew I had a big 'ol gaping hole in my stash?!?  I looked at the pattern, thought, oh, no problem, went stash diving, and....no red and white stripes!  How is that even possible??  I'm tell ya....big.  Gaping.  Hole.  So, quick trip to the quilt shop and then....

Americana - Flags

Isn't it cute?!?  There are 5 sets of blocks in this row.  And I'm now all set for anymore red and white stripe requirements Deana may throw at me!  :)

Here are the rows together...


Then I went back to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and did the Ohio Crossroads block...

RSC15 - Ohio Crossroads

And then....(told you I was busy)....I got the next block for the RSC15 almost completely done before bed last night.  I should be able to get it finished pretty quickly once I get home from work.

So how was YOUR weekend?  Did you get anything accomplished?  Come share at Patchwork Times, and BOM's Away at What A Hoot Quilts, and Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Wow ~ those Americana star blocks are so intricate! Both rows look great! I love your text fabric in the corners of the Ohio Crossroads block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both your rows! Those hearts and flags especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your rows look terrific. I had to do that same thing and I bought a Christmas red and white stripe that looks a lot like yours. =) I used to have a lot of the fabrics Deana used in hers, but it seems I used them all up! I really like that Crossroads block and I'm going looking for it, or draw it out, if I have to. =)

    ReplyDelete